The Tacoma Narrows Bridge is a pair of suspension bridges which carry State Route 16
across the Tacoma Narrows strait of Puget Sound between Tacoma and the Kitsap Peninsula. Historically, the name Tacoma Narrows Bridge
has applied to the original bridge nicknamed Galloping Gertie
which opened in July 1940 and collapsed four months later, as well as the replacement of the original bridge which opened in 1950 and still stands today as the westbound lanes of the present-day twin bridge complex.
The original Tacoma Narrows Bridge opened on July 1, 1940. It received its nickname because of the vertical movement of the deck observed by construction workers during windy conditions. The bridge became known for its pitching deck, and collapsed into Puget Sound the morning of November 7, 1940, under high wind conditions. Engineering issues as well as the United States' involvement in World War II postponed plans to replace the bridge for several years; the replacement bridge was opened on October 14, 1950.
In a 10 mile neighborhood ...